Samuel M. Winn, MD, one of the founding members of Eye Surgery Associates, now serves in Emeritus.
Dr. Winn was born in Chester, PA, in 1938. He graduated from Princeton University and the University of Pennsylvania Medical School. After an internship at Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, Fl, and after duty in the United States Public Health Service, Dr. Winn completed a residency in ophthalmology at the Wills Eye Hospital of Thomas Jefferson University. He subsequently completed a retinal surgery and ocular pathology fellowship at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary of Harvard University. During his fellowship he also studied at the laser laboratory of the Deaconess Hospital, Boston, MA.
In 1971, Dr. Winn joined Lee R. Duffner, MD, to form what later became Eye Surgery Associates.
Dr. Winn had served in many leadership positions in ophthalmology at the local, state, and national level throughout his career. He had been on the staffs of Memorial Regional Hospital, the Ambulatory Surgical Center, and the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute. He had contributed to the ophthalmic literature on the subject of retinal disease.
Although Dr. Winn is no longer treating patients, he continues his association with the physicians of Eye Surgery Associates on a consultative basis.
- University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1960-1964, M.D.
- Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 1956 -1960, A.B.
Post Doctoral Training
- Laser Lab Joselyn Clinic, Boston, Massachusetts July 1971
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts: Fellowship-Retinal Surgery & Ocular Pathology, 1970-1971
- The Wills Eye Hospital & Research Institute, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Residency- Ophthalmology 1967-1970
- AFIP Ocular Pathology Course, Washington, D.C., February 1966
- University of Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, Florida; internship-Medicine 1964-1965
Licensure and Board Certification
- American Board of Ophthalmology 1972
- State Board of Medical Examiners of Massachusetts 1970
- State Board of Medical Examiners of Pennsylvania 1969
- State Board of Medical Examiners of California 1967
- State Board of Medical Examiners of Florida 1965
- National Board of Medical Examiners 1965
- Voluntary Faculty, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Clinical Assistant Professor, 1976-2002
Hospital Appointments and Positions
- Memorial Same Day Surgery Center, Hollywood, Florida. Active Staff 1987-2006
- Vice President of Executive Committee & Member of Board of Trustees, 1987-2006
- Memorial Regional Hospital, Hollywood, Florida. Active Staff 1971-2007
- Credentials Committee, 1991-1999
- Chairman, Department of Ophthalmology, 1978-1980
- Member of Executive Committee 1978-1980
- Anne Bates Leach Hospital Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami, Miami Florida, Active staff, 1976-2000
Memberships, Offices and Medically Related Activities
- American Academy of Ophthalmology 1971-present
- American College of Surgeons 1974-present
- American Medical Association 1971-present
- American Society of Retinal Specialists 1994-present
- Wills Eye Hospital Alumni Society 1970-present
- Society of Taylor R. Smith Fellows 1971-present
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery 1975-2000.
- Florida Society of Ophthalmology 1972-present
- Florida Medical Association and Broward Count Medical Association 1971-2002.
- South Broward Ophthalmology Systems, Inc., Founder. President 1987-1990.
- Member of Executive Committee 1987-2007
- Miami Ophthalmology Society 1971-present.
- President 1990-1991; Vice President 1989-1990;
- Corresponding Secretary 1988-1989;
- Secretary 1987-1988
- Established the annual Norton Lectureship of the Miami Ophthalmology Society 1990
- Founder & Chairman of PAC of Miami Ophthalmology Society 1986-1988
- South Broward Physician's Self-Insurance Trust - Founding Trustee & Member of Executive Committee 1975-1990
- Physician's Reinsurance Limited - Board of Directors 1980-1984
- Retina Research Foundation of Florida, Board of Trustees 2000-2003
- Chief Medical Officer and Surgeon, USPHS, Cleveland, Ohio 1965-1967
- Eye Surgery Associates, One of three Founding Partners, Hollywood, Florida 1971-2008
- Assistant Principal Investigator, Miravant Photodynamic Study 1999-2002
- Contributions to the medical literature of the Retina regarding: Oguchi's Disease; Retinitis Pigmentosa/Coats Disease; and Dislocated lenses