Lee Duffner, M.D. one of the founding members of Eye Surgery Associates an now serves in Emeritus.
Lee Duffner, M.D. practiced comprehensive ophthalmology in Hollywood, Florida for over three decades. He treated patients of all ages with a broad spectrum of eye problems including glaucoma and optical refractive problems.
Dr. Duffner grew up in the back room of a drug store in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. His college training was in chemical and metallurgical engineering at Purdue University, where he graduated with Highest Distinction. Graduate school training followed; this led to a Master of Science degree in biophysics/physiology from Marquette University. Medical school studies were at the Medical College of Wisconsin, where he was granted membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha (AΩA) honor medical society in his junior year. A year of intense internship training in general medicine at Stanford University followed.
Following internship, Dr. Duffner served in the United States Air Force for three years as a Flight Surgeon on Air Force One. Following his military service, he was trained in ophthalmology at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute at the University of Miami School of Medicine.
During his professional career, Dr. Duffner has remained active with the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American College of Surgeons, the Florida Society of Ophthalmology, the International Intraocular Implant Club, and the American Board of Ophthalmology where he served for eight years as director and chairman. He also actively participates in training residents in ophthalmology as a Voluntary Professor at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute.
Dr. Duffner was elected to three consecutive four year terms as Council President and Councilman in the Town of Golden Beach, Florida where he resides. He was also a founder and president of the Hillel Community Day School in North Miami Beach. Other outside interests include his family, international travel, racewalking, gemology, numismatics, ballroom dancing and, occasionally, getting a good night’s sleep.
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana B.S. (Engineering)
- Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, M.S. (Physiology)
- Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, M.D. (Medicine)
Post Doctoral Training
- Stanford University, Palo Alto, California, Medical Internship
- University of Miami School of Medicine, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, Florida, Ophthalmology Residency
- Diplomate American Board of Ophthalmology
Academic & Administrative Appointments
- Voluntary Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Miami School of Medicine
- Memberships, Offices and Committee Appointments
- Fellow of American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Fellow of American College of Surgeons
- Member of International Intraocular Implant Club
- Member of Florida Society of Ophthalmology
- Member of Miami Ophthalmological Society
- Member of American Medical Association
- Member of Florida Medical Association
- Member of Broward County Medical Association
Other Professional Positions & Major Appointments
- Past Chairman, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Past Chairman, Advisory Council for Ophthalmic Surgery, American College of Surgeons
- Member, Topical Ocular Pharmaceutical Agents Committee, Florida Board of Optometry
- Trustee, South Florida Ophthalmogical Self Insuring Trust
- Chairman, Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, Florida
- Member, Florida Ophthalmology Political Action Committee
- Past Member, Ophthalmogical Advisory Panel, United States Pharmacopoeia
- Past Member, Committee on Drugs, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Past President of Medical Staff, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, Florida
- Private Practice of Ophthalmology, Hollywood, Florida